Move over heavy lasagna and fettuccini alfredo…
Comfort foods are out and fresh fruit and vegetables are in! When the weather gets warmer most people tend to lighten up their diets by eating less. Now is the time to renew (or begin) your love for nutritious and sweet-tooth satisfying foods to not only lose weight in San Francisco but get added health benefits as well.
Diets rich in fruits and vegetables may reduce the risk of some types of cancer and other chronic diseases. Fruits and vegetables also provide essential vitamins and minerals, fiber, antioxidants, and other substances that are important for good health in San Francisco. They not only taste great, they are low in calories.
Here are some easy tips to incorporate flavorful summer crops to your weekly menus:
- Add a banana or fresh berries to your cereal or oatmeal
- Add green peppers, spinach, tomatoes and mushrooms to eggs and frozen pizza
- See how much color you can add to your plate at each meal (green spinach, purple grapes, red strawberries, orange carrots, etc.)
- Pre-cut raw vegetables for snacks-on-the-go
- Have chocolate-covered strawberries for desert (in moderation)
- Make your own smoothies with fresh or frozen fruit and low-fat yogurt or milk
- Include corn, zucchini or other fresh vegetables in skewers, grill baskets or when grilling
You don’t have to give up comfort foods entirely this summer; just eat them less often and in smaller amounts. You’ll be amazed at how your body size will shrink and your energy level will soar!